Welcome back to a new and exciting 2014-2015 school year. I am confident to say that we are destined for another great year. Our childrens gifts/talents combined with the dedication of school staff and our supportive parents/community allows us to continue to strive for excellence at Western Middle School for the Performing Arts. We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve at their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your childs education. As partners, we share the responsibility for your childrens success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask for your support by ensuring that your child:
Ø Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the days learning experience
Ø Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
Ø Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
Ø Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
Ø Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
We would also like to share some updates/changes to our family this year. Due to increased enrollment, we have created an additional 8th grade team. Each grade level will have two teams which I hope will foster a healthy rivalry for our students. There are also a few updates to our staff this school year as the result of staff promotions and change of location. Please join me in welcoming the following staff members to our community.
· Ms. Jessica Bradley 8th grade Language Arts/Science
· Ms. Rachel Candella 8th grade Language Arts
· Mrs. Kori Grose 6th grade Social Studies
· Mrs. Catha Hannah Technology
· Mr. Nathan Havens ECE
· Ms Tierra Ross 6th grade Science
· Mr. Matthew Schlischer 8th grade Science
· Ms. Beth Sutton ECE Consultant
· Mrs. Dana Henry Receptionist
· Ms. Paula Fox School Secretary
Here are some additional reminders about our first day of school:
- School starts promptly at 7:40 am and ends at 2:20 pm.
- If your child rides a bus, please allow them to ride the bus on the first day of school to assist the bus personnel in obtaining correct bus rider numbers for the designated stops.
- Please remind bus riders to write down their bus numbers, (and if they change buses at a depot, make sure they know the depot bus # as well.
- Each morning students will have the option to go to the cafeteria to eat breakfast. For the first couple of weeks, due to gym renovations, all students will report to either the cafeteria or auditorium. At 7:30 a.m. we will begin to release students to the 1st period class to begin instruction for the day.
- If you will be driving your child to school, remember the drop off spot for students is in the front of the building. The doors of the building open at 7:00 a.m. Please do not drop your child off before this time.
- Regularly remind your child to listen to the announcements each day regarding tryouts, practices and meeting information for all activities.
On behalf of the staff, we look forward to seeing you on the first day of school August 13, 2014. We hope that this year will be a rewarding learning experience for all our students.
Kymberly M. Rice